What is Ploobs Engine?
It is an engine for creating games and graphics applications developed in XNA 4.0, C #. Net 4.0 and HLSL. It is designed to be simple and easy to use even for those unfamiliar with computer graphics programming.
The framework developed is quite extensive and consists of several modules responsible for most common tasks used in games, such as: Input Control, Simulation, Physics, Graphics Rendering, Artificial Intelligence and Control Features. Graphics are the main focus of this engine. It uses deferred shading rendering, which is the same technique used in games like Startcraft II, Crysis II and KillZone II. The majority of this engine was built as part of our graduation project. An in-depth explanation of the graphics techniques used and our implementation of those techniques can be found in our thesis(In Portuguese).
What are the Key Features?
The PloobsEngine supports almost all the features of the Directx 9c graphics API, with the main features being:
- Deferred Rendering with support for bump mapping, specular mapping, glow mapping and parallax mapping (techniques used to simulate materials and increase the realism of games)
- 2D and 3D Particle Systems
- 2D and 3D Physical Simulation
- 2D and 3D Sound
- 2D and 3D Dynamic Lights with Shadow
- 3D Animation by Bones (Bone Animation)
- Terrain and Vegetation
- Reflection and Refraction in Real Time
- Several classical algorithms of Artificial Intelligence
- Support for Windows Phone 7 and PC
We used different algorithms and techniques found in games that are currently on the market. Whenever possible, we chose algorithms that exploit the strengths of the GPU. Our greatest advantage in using this technique is in the extreme Deferred Shading where the XNA Engine excels. For a much more complete list of features, take a look here.
What do you need to start using the Ploobs Engine?
For ease of use, only a basic knowledge of C# is required. An intimate knowledge of computer graphics or XNA is not needed.
For the developer, you must install the XNA 4.0 SDK, Net 4.0 Framework and Visual Studio 2010 (full or Express). In terms of hardware, you only need a video card this is compatible with DirectX 10.
Where do I start?!
How the engine is distributed?
Currently the forms of distribution are:
- Complete source code is available in our Mercurial repository
- Single MSI Installer
- Using the PloobsInstaller (app that automatically downloads the latest version of the engine from our server)
The idea is to periodically release a stable version and several intermediate betas. If a critical bug is found, we will fix the stable version as soon as possible. The demos and documentation file will be updated only at the launch of stable releases. The documentation on the site will be updated when the intermediate versions are released. We intend to maintain compatibility with older versions whenever possible.
This Version of the engine uses a Dual-License model. For more info CHECK HERE.
In the near future we intend to improve the stability and documentation, as well as fix the bugs that will “emerge”. We are also working in a XBOX360 version. In a more distant future we intend to add support for networking.
We need people who like computer graphics (it requires a prior knowledge, we have various materials to aid the learning of staff), mainly programming shaders (the code that runs on the video card). Volunteers welcome! Also we need people willing to create the demos and showcases (no need to mess with the core engine). Questions? Want to know more? Leave a comment here or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Thiago Dias Pastor
- Bruno Duarte Correa
- Download Page: http://ploobs.com.br/?page_id=1395
- License page: http://ploobs.com.br/?page_id=1371
- Tutorial Page: http://ploobs.com.br/?page_id=1379
- Source Code Page: http://code.google.com/p/port-ploobsengine/
- Portuguese Release: http://www.bitabit.eng.br/2011/03/23/apresentando-ploobs-engine/
- Old Project Site (XNA 3.1 Version): http://ploobsengine.codeplex.com/
- Forum: http://ploobs.com.br/forum/
- Mail: email@example.com
- Our Twitter: @ploobsengine
- All the guys for us COOP10 (our class in university) especially Filipão and Kayatt.
- To Professor Ricardo Nakamura, our supervisor of the graduation project, and his sage advice.
- Our ImaginCup 2010 Team, for the gained experience that has completely transformed the development of the engine.
- [PloobsEngine] Problems and Frequently Asked Questions | Ploobs
- PloobsEngine “First Blood” | Ploobs
- Release of the PloobsEngine XNA 4.0 Alpha Version | Ploobs
- Opentk – Extracting Data from VBO with granularity | Ploobs
- PloobsUpdater 1.0 Released | Ploobs
- Opengl Opentk - Extracting Data from VBO with granularity | Ploobs
- Skybox on Windows Phone 7 | Ploobs